History (Main Library)
On March 23rd, 1907, China’s first academy for overseas Chinese- Jinan Academy started school. As one of the earliest organizations of Jinan Academy, the library was built at the same time as well.
In the autumn of 1927, Hongnian Library was founded.
In 1942, the library of National Chinan University moved to Jianyang, Fujian Province along with the whole school in order to seek shelter from the World War II.
In 1945 after the victory of the anti-Japanese war, National Chinan University moved back to Shanghai. And in the spring of the same year, the library began to collect and sort out books that have been deposited in various places during the war time; and in the meantime, the library embarked on a huge amount of supplementation of books through diversified channels. Hence the collections started to grow gradually.
On May 28th, 1949, Shanghai entered liberation. After that, overseas Chinese students dropped sharply, which resulted in the suspension of Jinan. More than 140,000 volumes of the library's collections were distributed to Fudan University, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, etc.
In 1958, Jinan University was reopened as an independent institution in Guangzhou. In April, 1958, a preparatory group of Jinan university library began to work.
In 1970, Jinan University was again suspended. The library, along with other faculties and departments, was merged into Sun Yat-sen University, Guangdong Normal College (presently South China Normal University), Guangdong Industrial College and Guangdong International Studies University.
In 1978, Jinan University was reopened for the second time. The library was officially opened to all staffs and students as well.
On October 5th, 1984, the construction of Jinan University Library was completed. The building suited on the central axis of Jinan with a total area of 13000 m2.
In September, 2007, a new building was completed and came into service, covering an area of 38180 m2.